Friday, March 6, 2009

I've made up my mind

I want to write my own developer blog. I really do. I have two major enemies at the moment. A lack of casual time and rabid curiosity. The lack of time is self explanatory. I have a 4 year old, a 2 month old baby and a demanding job.

The "rabid curiosity" part is my laundry list of methodologies, technologies, practices and tools and I want to preview them all at the same time. For example, I want to check out what the premier dependency injection framework is so I'll go read some blogs and documentation. Someone will make a reference to BDD so I have to see what that is. It's behavior driven design which is apparently the logical evolution of TDD. So then I'll fire up another tab and start looking at that. Someone mentions something about TypeMock so now I have to go see what that's all about. Then I'll start reading the blog war around TypeMock and how it supposedly promotes writing untestable code.

You can see where this is going. At the end of this I can't say I have a demonstrable understanding in what it was I had initially set out to explore. I picked up a handful of nuggets and have a general understanding but it's nothing I can make any good use of.

I've recognized this and I've forced myself to give only a single topic of interest the bandwidth it needs. This has worked out well. I've been interested in scrum as it's coming to my company so I read Schwaber and Beedle's book on it. I wanted to understand the wackiness of javascript so I spent a week and read around and played a bit. Now I "get it".

I'm going to continue on this path and start blogging a bit more on the experience. It's the best way to learn and then demonstrate that I have a grasp on the subject.

I also need to improve on my writing. There was a time where I was never at a loss for words or had trouble communicating my thoughts. I let that skill atrophy so I have to build it up again. Bear with me in the meantime.

No comments: